| France > Sights & Sounds > French Museums|
- Aircraft and Space Museum-Musee de l'Air et de l'Espace Official website of "le Musee de l'Air de de l'Espace". The museum is located outside from Paris, in the greater Paris area called le Bourget close to the Bourget airport (North and East from Paris city). Price per person: $6 for adults. Site in French. Other places to visit in the area? La Villette Science Museum, Stade de France..
- American Art Museum This small museum is located in the city of Giverny and exhibits paintings from American artists inspired by French impressionist artists and especially by Claude Monet.
- Angladon Museum The Angladon Musuem features a rich collection of paintings from world famous painters like Cezanne, Picasso, Modigliani, Vuillard, Sisley, Degas and many others. This private collection is now open to the public. The Angladon Museum is located in downtown Avignon.
- Anne de Beaujeu Museum Built at the end of the XVth C., this castle is considered as one of the first Renaissance castle in France. The castle is today used as a museum displaying all kinds of historical and prehistoric exhibits. The museum is located in Moulins, in the Allier region of France. Open daily except on Tuesday, admission cost: $5.
- Army Museum of Les Invalides Official website of the Invalides Army museum located in downtown Paris. The museum is open from 10am to 4:45pm in the Winter (5:45pm in the summer), approximately $6 for adults, free for children under 12.
- Art Brut de Lapalisse Museum Art gallery located in Lapalisse, in the Massif Central region of France.
- Art Mag Not quite sure how to describe this one. Well. Let's say that it is a site that provides information on museums, art galleries and other art-related events in France and elsewhere. Potentially useful in the future. Site in French!
- Arts Decoratifs Museum-Decorative Art Museum This site gives information on the following museums: the Museum of Decorative Arts, the Advertising Museum, the Museum of Fabric and Fashion, Nissim de Comondo Museum,..
- Bordeaux Architecture Center Bordeaux Center for architecture, urbanism and design. This is the Center's website.
- Bouilhet-Christofle Museum Located Rue Royale in Paris city center (just a few steps from the Place de la Concorde), the Bouilhet-Christofle Museum is considered one of the largest privately held Museum dedicated to the history of silversmithing.
- Centre George Pompidou Some like it, some hate it, the Pompidou Art Center has always been a topic of heavy discussions, visit its website and find practical information as well the schedule of upcoming events and exhibitions. The two main attractions of the Pompidou Art Center are the National Museum of Modern Art-Center for Industrial Design and the Department of Cultural Development that provides live entertainment performances, cinema projections, public presentations,.. Centre Pompidou is located in the Chatelet-Les Halles area, left bank, not too far from Notre Dame.. Closed on tuesdays. Free entrance to main building and most areas.
- Centre National de la Photographie-National Center of Photography Official website of Centre National de la Photographie. This Center is located on the right bank of the Seine river in downtown Paris (rue Berryer, 8th district). Price for adults: $6/person. Open afternoons daily, closed on Tuesdays.
- Chateau de la Foret Chateau de la Foret is located in a Louis XIII style mansion in downtown Livry Gargan, Seine Saint-Denis area of Greater Paris. The museum houses documents and belongings of Mme. De Sevigne. Site in French.
- Chateaubriand Castle The castle of Chateauxbriand is located about 5 miles south west from Paris in the Haut-de-Seine departement of the Ile-de-France region. Call them to plan a visit. Site in French
- Cinema Museum/Cinematheque Francaise Created in 1936 by Henri Langlois, the Cinema Museum of Paris is a renown place for the 7th Art aficionados. The museum is momentarily closed due to the 1997 fire. It will reopen doors in 2000 in a new building in Bercy in 2000 and will be renamed La Maison du Cinema. Collections are momentarily located at La Bibliotheque de France.
- Cité de l’espace
- Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers Official web site of the Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers. Hit the "Musee des Arts et Metiers" section (not the Brittish flag) to get to the Museum section of this site. The "Manifestations" subsection will give you a list of coming exhibitions. A great place to visit for those who love past scientific discoveries. The museum is located on the right bank, 3rd district, in the Pompidou Museum area. Museum momentarily closed for renovation, will reopen doors in December 1999.
- Contemporary Art Gallery Contemporary Art Gallery located in the 13th district, left bank and east part of Paris. Original but not very explanatory…
- Corsica Museum The museum of Corsica is located in Corte and is open every day, except Sundays and Mondays, from 10am till 5pm.
- Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux Arts If you are a student is arts or just like arts, you may want to stop by "l'Ecole des Beaux Arts". A lot of things to see there: the " Académies royales" collections, paintings, drawings, sculptures, manuscripts, temporary students work exhibits The Mediateque is not open to the public at large, if you are a student with a reseach project they will let you in.
- Electropolis Museum Parents! You would like your son to work in the utility industry? Stop by Electropolis in Mulhouse. The whole museum is dedicated to this unique electrical energy. In addition to the 100,000 objects presented in the museum, you will certainly enjoy the interactive exhibits as well as the architecutre of the building.
- Fine Arts Museum of Rennes The Fine Arts Museum of Rennes houses a larger collection than one may expect. The museum houses an extensive collection of paintings, drawings, sculptures, engravings from the 14th. C till today. Site in French.
- French Ministry of Culture (Ministere de la Culture) This site provides contains a lot of good information on French culture and cultural resources available in France. Part of the site is in English. Ever dreamed to work as a volunteer and restore a French castle ? Well, get your dictionary and hit the first icon subtitled "Liste des chantiers de fouilles archeologiques pour benevoles".there you will a complete directory classified by region or key word on French places that need arms!!
- French National Library (Bibliotheque Nationale de France) One of the last massive initiative from President Francois Mitterand, the "BnF" as the French like to call it is France's largest library. It is located in Parism, along the Seine river, quai Francois Mauriac. Only some rooms are open to the general public. The upper garden reading rooms are open to the general public, you need to be over 16 and show your personal ID.
- Gallo Roman Museum We could not find the official site of the Gallo Roman Museum located in Lyon. It would be unfare though not to mention it our pages so here the best we found. A magnificent museum by the way..
- Institut du Monde Arabe-Institut of the Arab World This museum-institut is located on the left bank of the Seine river, in the 5th district of Paris.
- Institut Oceanographique Water and Sea have a musueum in Paris, the renown Institut Oceanographique de Paris, is located on the left bank (5th district) close to the Luxembourg Park. Opened every day but Mondays, $6/ adult. Don't miss the film sessions..
- Institut Pasteur Visit the Museum of Pasteur, the man who found the vaccine against rabies.. The Pasteur Museum is located in the 15th district of Paris, left bank. It is open on afternoons all week. Close in August. Admission fee: $3.
For those of you who are planing to visit the East of France and the Jura region in particular, stop by the charming city of Dole to visit the other Pasteur Museum where Pasteur lived most of life before moving to Paris..
- InterMuses Ever heard about Paris Museum Pass? Check this site out, it will make you save time.. Have a look at the Information section, you will find a general listing (by alphabetical order) of all the museums and other special places located in the greater Paris area.
- Joan of Arc Museum The Musee Jeanne d'Arc in located in Rouen, Normandie. Open daily.
- Lafayette Manor Museum Visit the manor where Marquis de la Fayette was born in September 1757 and spent part of his life. Yes Marquis de la Fayette, the same guy who gave a hand to the young American nation during the American Revolution.
- Louvre Virtual Tour Virtual tour of the Louvre with Smartweb.
- Louvre, The Official site of Le Louvre museum. Good Stuff.
- Maison de la Peche et de la Nature Maison de la Peche et de la Nature is a museum as well as a recreational and educational center dedicated to Fishing and Wild life. Maison de la Peche is located in Levallois Perret in Seine Saint-Denis. Site in French.
- Maison Europeenne de la Photographie Maison Europeenne de la Photographie (European Institut of Photography) is a major centre for contemporary photographic art. It is located on the right bank of the Seine river, 4th district, metro Saint Paul or Pont Marie (a few blocks from Notre Dame). Open every day except Mondays, Tuesdays and public holidays, from 11 am to 8 pm. Normal rate: $6.
- Marmottan Monet Museum If you like impressionism paintings, you may want to visit this little museum located in Paris 16th district. Paintings from Monnet, Boudin, Morisot, Gauguin, Renoir, Pissaro and Sisley are exhibited in this former "hotel particulier". Metro station: Muette, right bank of Paris.
- Monnaie de Paris-French Minting Authority Official website of "l'Hotel de la Monnaie", the French Minting authority. Monnaie de Paris is located on the left bank of the Seine river, 11 quai de Conti, in the heart of Paris. What can I see? The Currency Museum, the Minting Workshop, and the Shop.
- Musee Dauphinois Exhibitions are for the most part devoted to regional heritage (French Alps mountains..) as well as more general topics and other cultures. The museum is located in the city of Grenoble, it is open daily except Tuesdays from 10am to 6pm (7pm in the summer).
- Musee de la Contrefacion-Counterfeit Objects Museum Official website of the Counterfeit Objects Museum. This museum was created in 1955 by the Association of French Manufacturers and was renovated three years ago. The museum provides a complete educational tour on the counterfeit industry and the challenges it creates. The museum is located in a beautiful private hotel in downtown Paris. Open Tuesday through Sunday from 2pm till 5:30pm, $3.
- Musee de la Paysannerie If you are the Saint-Michel, Dinan, Saint-Malo area while visiting French Brittany, stop by this little museum and find out about the world of French Brittany peasants. A lot of displays and live animals for the greatest pleasure of children.
- Musee de l'Erotisme-Erotism Museum Finally! Paris has its Erotism Museum and its official website. The Museum is, of course, located in the Pigalle area of Paris where many cabarets are located. Over 2000 pieces of art are displayed in the Museum. Order their CD-Rom!
- Musee de l'Imprimerie/ Print Shop Museum The museum features an important collection of early French and Lyon region books as well as a large selection of printing techniques, wood blocks, copper engravings..from all times. The museum is located in downtown lyon, Presqu'ile area, in the second district. Workshops are also available for those who like hands-on experiences.
- Musee de Valence The Museum of Valence is located in Valence (about an hour south from Lyon), hence the name. It house the archeology museum of the city as well as the fine arts museum. Nice site, all in French…
- Musee des Antiquites Nationales-Antiques National Museum Located in the beautiful royal castle of Saint-Germain-en-Laye. This museum was created in 1862 by Napoléon III to display archeological objects from the origins of mankind untill medieval times. Open year-round from 9am to 5pm. Saint-Germain-en-Laye is located on the west Part of Paris greater area.
- Musee des Arts Decoratifs Musee des Arts Decoratifs offers you the opportunity to visit a French XVIII C. house with its original furniture. The Museum is located in downtown Lyon, close to Avenue de Victor Hugo (metro station: Victor Hugo, Ampere) and next to the Fabrics Museum. You will be impressed by the the quality of the furnitures displayed: dressers, armchairs, clocks, crockery.. Open daily, except Mondays, from 10 am till 5.30 pm (closed during lunch time).
- Musee des Arts et Metiers "Le Musee des Arts et Metiers" is located on the right bank of Paris, rue Saint-Martin. The museum is momentarily closed, it will reopen in December 1999.
- Musee des Tissus Museum of tissues?,..pardon but "tissus" in France means fabrics or textiles.. And in Lyon, "tissus" most often means silk.. If you are in the textile industry or just like nice fabrics, it is worth stoping by the "Musee des Tissus". The museum is located rue de la Charite, in the city center of Lyon, "presqu'ile" area, in a 18th C building..
- Musee Grevin-Grevin Museum Official website of the renown Grevin Museum (Wax Figures Museum). If you like celebrities and wax, you should enjoy your visit. Location: right bank, Opera district (9th district), price per person: $9.
- Musee National de la Legion d'Honneur-Legion Honeur Museum Official website of the Legion of Honor and Chevaly Orders. Open every day from 2 pm to 5 pm, except Mondays. Normal rate: $5. Same location as the Orsay Museum, metro station: Solferino
- Museeum of the Children of Izieu On April 6th, 1944, forty-four children who were being sheltered in the Izieu primary school and the seven adults in charge of them were arrested the Gestapo because they were Jewish. They never came back..This little museum was created in order to perpetuate their memory.
- Museum of African, Oceanian and Amerindian Arts This museum was created in 1992, it is located in Marseille, and houses several collections of traditional arts from Africa, Oceania and South America. Don't miss the film documentaries section.
- Museum of Basque Patries This little museum is located south east of Saint-Jean de Luz, in a small village called Sare. You will visit a traditional basque kitchen from the beginning of the centry and taste all kinds of pastries..
- Museum of Fort Saint-Roche Built in the early 30's a part of the military defense Maginot Line, Fort Saint Roche is now open to the public for visits. Considered as the ultimate piece of military technology back then, it is now a military history museum. The museum is located in the Nice area.
- Museum of French Railways As you may already know, France has a strong railways tradition and commitment, and this museum is a good illustration of it. The Museum of French Railways offers the largest European continental exhibit of railway equipment. The museum opens daily from 9am to 5pm.
- Museum of Lyon Fiiremen This musuem dedicated to firemen is probably the largest one in France and Europe. Located in a two-story building in not so much touristical district of Lyon (La Duchere, West bank of the Saone River), it really worth visiting. You will see equipment dating back to the beginning of the century.
- Museum of Music, Paris The Music Museum of Paris' official website.
- Museum of Print on Fabrics Another museum located in Mulhouse ! This museums introduces visitors to the history of "cotton imprime" in Alsace. The museum shows equipment as well as cotton products. Opened daily.
- Museum of the Rangers This museum was inaugurated on 6 th June 1990, this museum tells the story of an American Elite Unit trained for a special mission on D-Day: the assault and capture of"La Pointe du Hoc". The story does not tell how many survivors visited the museum.. If any.
- Museum of Urban and Regional Transportation The museum used to be located in Saint-Mande, it is in the process of being transferred in Colombe , Haut de Seine, North of Paris. In the mean time you can visit their collection online. Site in French!
- Museums of Carcassonne This site introduces you to two completely different museums both located in Carcassone: the Museum of Torture, Inquisition and Cathares and the International Museum of Cartoons..
- Musexpo Probably one of the most helpful website on museums, art galleries and other cultural events available in France. This site is fully translated in English and provides a wealth of practical information. We also like the direct links to museums and galleries when individual sites are available. Merci!
- Nantes Museums We found this list of museums located in Nantes very practical,. This site is in French but should be able to make you way through. "Plein tarif" means full price/full fare while "tarif reduit" means "discount price" (mostly for children , students and elderly people). Don't miss French writer, Jules Verne, museum!
- National Automobile Museum - Schlumpf collection Mulhouse is a city of many muesums but this one is very special. This exceptional collection of over 600 cars and 90 different manufacturers was intially started by the Schlumpf brothers. The museums is open daily, except Mondays, from 10am till 6pm.
- National History Museum Official website of the National Natural History Museum. In French only !
- National Museums Meeting Place (Reunion des Musees Nationaux) If Art is your world and France your destination, this website created by the prestigious Reunion des Musees Nationaux de France is definitely a great digital passport for you, ..provided that you speak French. Under the "Accueillir" section, hit "33 musees nationaux" and you will get access to maps of France with a precise location and practical info on each Member museum.
- Observatoire de Paris You like everything related to the stars but with no connection to the show business industry? You may want to visit l'Observatoire de Paris (Paris Observatory) and its different departments.
- Palais de la Decouverte-The Discovery Museumr# Probably one of my favorite museums in Paris, probably because it reminds me when we used to go there with my parents and also because of the interactive experiments, the Planetarium,the unusual exhibits, and the architecture of the museum.. I will always remember that time when my curly hair when up straight after being connected to some flow of electricity. I was tired for two weeks after that but god I loved it! Open every day except on Mondays. Normal rate: $6 Location: right bank of Paris facing the Invalides, metro station: Champs Elysees.
- Pavillon de l'Arsenal Official website of "Pavillon de l'Arsenal", Paris' Architecture and Urbanism Documentation and Exhibits Center. Closest subway station: Sully-Morland or Bastille. Exhibits are opento the general public Tuesday through Sunday. This site is not yet available in English.
- Pontarlier Museum As the title says Pontarlier Museum is a museum..located in the City of Pontarlier, in the Doubs departement, Franche Comte region of France. The museum displays all kind of things. Great information on the Absinthe alcohol made in the Pontarlier area. Did you know that Absinthe was originally used as a medicine?..
- Prehistorical Museum Located in the remainings of a XVI th. C. castle, this prehistorical museum gathers the largest French paleotical collection. The museum is located in Les Eyzies de Tayac, a beautiful little town in the Dordogne region of France. Open daily except on Tuesdays. Free for Children. Site in French.
- Rodin Museum Official website of the Rodin museums located in Paris and Meudon. The Rodin museum in Paris is located on the left bank in the 7th district. (Metro line 7, Varenne station) and is open all week except on Mondays. Admission rate: approximately $6 (28 francs). Enjoy!
- Seita Museum Official website of French Tabacco Company Seita's Museum. SEITA stands for Societe d'Exploitation Industrielle des Tabacs et Allumettes ; )
- Strawberry Museum The Museum of the Strawberry and its Heritage presents the natural, geological, and historical of the Finistere region of France (the very tip of French Brittany). Why strawberries then ? Well this is where they were first cultivated once brought back from South America to France.. Museum located in Plougastel.
- The Automaton Museum This very special museum is located in the Pyrenees region of France in Souillac. This museum displays a unique collection of toys and automatons of the 19th and early 20th Century. A great place to visit with children.
- The Caen-D-Day Memorial Official website of the Caen-D-Day Memorial, a Museum for Peace. Open all year-round from 9am to 7pm. The museum is located on Caen belt highway, exit 6 or 7. Ticket price $14 for adults, special price for students, children and senior citizens, free for all veterans.
- The Museum of Advertising Created in 1978, the Museum of Advertising (Musee de la Publicite) houses a impressive collection of close to 100,000 posters. The museum is located in the heart of Paris, rue de Rivoli in the Louvres area.
- The National Cutlery Federation If you stop by the city of Thiers in the Auvergne region of France, stop by the Cutlery federation and ask to visit their local craftment. Thiers is renown for its knives.